6.18.2012

Entry 9: Year 3034: Menoetius


I was simply stunned. How was it that my college Physics professor was the man who lived here? He had left me with so many questions, and I would never know the answers. I can’t even begin to try and figure everything out alone. SR isn’t much help in the way of solving all of these mysteries, and I doubt he is capable of fixing the time machine. I just couldn’t do this anymore. I can’t pray to a God who has let humanity struggle like this. Who could possibly help me now?





Then I remembered what Dr. Matthew said. Something in his closet would help me figure everything out. Maybe it could answer my questions, solve my problems. I didn’t know what I was going to find behind that door, but I knew I had to look. He wouldn’t have told me to look if it wasn’t important.



The android stood on a platform in the corner. He was pale and had silver hair. His suit was virtually brand new and he stood perfectly motionless as I reached out to touch the material of his pants. It looked as if he hadn’t aged a day, which of course he couldn’t. His eyes were pale grey and the pupils were different than a typical human’s. He had strong facial features, almost that of a fashion model. His suit was flawless and clean, there was no way he had been sitting here for seven years without moving.


It appeared to me that touching the android’s leg made him awake from his frozen state. He stared out into the distance at first. I suspect his system was booting up.


He finally looked down at me and brought his hand to his chin in what I assume to be an effort to figure out what was going on. We stood staring at each other for some time.

“Hello. My name is Adam.”



He stepped down from his platform gracefully and stood there in front of me.


“Hello Adam, I am Noomi Eden. I am the last human in existence. I stumbled upon this planet a few days ago while searching for a new planet for the humans. I found Dr. Matthew’s hologram in the lab and he told me to find you.”

“Well that certainly is a story you have there. I’d love to hear more, I’ve never been to Earth… How long has it been since Dr. Matthew’s death?”

“About 7 years.”

“Oh my Gods.”

“How did he die?”

“It is a really gruesome story, but I feel you must know.”

“I must tell you the whole story for you understand, okay?”

I nodded at him.



“Many years ago, Dr. Matthew discovered this planet while doing an exploratory mission for his research on alien metals. He landed here and took samples and was amazed to find that the air was breathable and that the water was safe. He mapped several parts of this area before returning to his mission.

“He returned to Earth with news of a new planet, this being almost 13 years before the nuclear disaster. The government was furious, to say the least. When Dr. Matthew went to present his findings, the Board of Galaxy Research shot down his plans to build a settlement on the new planet. They wanted nothing to do with it and told him it was a pipe dream to try and move people from this planet. They simply did not want to spend the government funding money on such a foolish idea.


“The doctor  was crushed. He wanted so badly to explore the rest of the universe, and to further his research of time travel. If he could just get people to that planet, they might be able to make contact with alien species. Consumed with this idea, Dr. Matthew went back to the board to beg for their support, but they wouldn’t even let him say a word. Instead they decided in order to stifle the problem of Dr. Matthew’s persistence, they would exile him. They gave him two options: Leave Earth or have his memory wiped.
“Dr. Matthew valued his memory more than anything, and made the selfish decision to be exiled.

"Immediately he was taken to the nearest space launch facility, where he was put into a holding cell. They told him to make a list of the things he would need in order to be ready for launch. Among the things on the list were pictures of his family and a small collection of books, those ended up in the kitchen. I’m sure you’ve seen them. The Board gathered the things that Dr. Matthews put on the list. Within days he was packed up into a ship and on his way to his new planet. He agreed if there was anywhere he wanted to be, it was there. All the while, his family had no idea what had happened to him, and eventually they were told he was killed in a freak accident at his lab.




“The Board made a contract with Dr. Matthew to send food and other general supplies once a year. And so with each year, he would have a new list of things he wanted them to bring for next year. Eventually he had enough supplies to build me, and shortly after I was built, the first visit from the aliens happened.


“A friendly race of aliens from a planet a few galaxies away landed here and were surprised to see us here. They told us that they had been visiting this planet every year on their galaxy solstice. However, they made an exception when they found us and agreed to come back as soon as they could to help Dr. Matthew build this facility. It took almost 3 years to finish the whole thing, but it’s amazing, isn’t it?



“Things went along peacefully for some time, and eventually Dr. Matthew perfected his plans for the time machine. He had dreams of using it to fix what he had done to his family, but then he received a message from Earth. He was told about the nuclear disaster and the death of his family. Overrun with anguish and regret, he became depressed. He stayed in bed for most of the time and only ever came out of the sleeping room to check messages from Earth. The statistics were becoming increasingly grim. He had gotten word of exploratory missions that were searching for new planets, mainly yours, but he knew you would never make it here in time. It was there seven years ago that things took a turn for the worst.


“Although Dr. Matthew had been feeling better, and working on the machine, he was still not his usual self. One morning he had slept in considerably, and was only awoken by the sound of the ship landing close by. He woke up and alerted me to check the surveillance feeds to see who it was. The ship looked similar to that of our allies, but it was not our allies that had landed here.




“I showed Dr. Matthew the scans and he instructed me to stay hidden, just in case. I followed Dr. Matthew. He seemed to know that these visitors were not friendly. He ran to his lab and emptied a water container into the circuitry of the time machine. He told me if he lived, he could fix it, but he’d rather have it broken than for anyone else to have access to it.


“Soon we heard footsteps coming down into the main room. This is when I activated my stealth. From where we were I could hear them coming down the stairs.The footsteps were heavy, unlike our allies’ light footfall. Dr. Matthew turned to me and told me that no matter what was to happen, I was not to reveal myself, and I promised that to him. I was his prized creation, after all.



“There were two of them, one of them taller than the other. They were dressed as if they were warriors. Dr. Matthew decided to show himself to them. Instantly I knew he had regretted the decision. The taller of the two aliens noticed him and seemed to instruct the smaller one to grab the doctor. Dr. Matthew didn’t struggle against the alien's grip; he only just looked back at me as the brute dragged him.



“The taller one instructed his henchman to put the doctor on the ground. He threw the doctor to the floor at the feet of the taller alien. He scrambled backwards from the aliens, trying to get away. The taller alien shouted something at the doctor, at the time I didn’t know what he said, but after being asleep for so long I was able to piece it together. He told the doctor that nothing could save him, and that humanity was doomed from the beginning. The doctor raised his hands to protect himself as the alien raised his to perform some sort of magic or spell. I never figured that part out, but he flashed some beam on the doctor, and once the beam went out, the doctor was lifeless on the floor.






“The aliens went along destroying things at will, knocking over furniture. Once they were satisfied, they brought that statue down from their ship and placed it next to the doctor’s body. They left shortly after that.
“Out of respect for the doctor, I left him where he was and promised him that someday I would find those aliens and get revenge for him, even though I wasn’t built with the capability to feel vengeance… After that, I locked myself in this closet and initiated the sleep sequence. And then here you are…”



2 comments:

  1. Wow is all I got. Really good. Really excited to read your next post. provided that i don't read it first on tumblr :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosssh you're my first comment! Thank you!! Thank you for taking the time to read everything! This means so much to me!! :D

      Delete