6.12.2012

Entry 1: Year 3034: Location Unknown





As it seems, my ship and crew are gone. We were the last hope for human-kind, and now it is only me. As far as I can tell, I am the last living human in the universe. 
This journal will be my outlet for as long as I survive on this planet. It appears to be Earth-like in composition, but the flora is much different from Earth. The air is breathable, and the heat is quite intense, but nothing I can't handle. 

In order for you to understand why I am the last human, I must tell you why I am here..





 In the year 3021, Earth suffered from a nuclear epidemic unlike any seen before. Since converting to nuclear power only in the year 2079, we had all but forgotten about the dangers that nuclear energy had. One of the newest nuclear fusion labs in what used to be America had a breach of security shortly after a normal day's work. 

The ambush of environmentalists proceeded to try and disarm the reactor hidden deep in the lab, but they only succeeded at releasing the milli-tons of harmful nuclear gases. America quickly began to panic as many civilians living near the lab became violently ill and passed within days of the breach. The gas eventually spread from the city and into the rest of the country. There was more than enough to cover the whole world. Many people took refuge in underground facilities built for the impending World War that luckily was resolved in 2056. The world was thrown into chaos as this plague wafted over the continents like a warm summer breeze. 


In order to sustain human life, a small fleet of 20 or so teams of scientists and astronauts were drafted to search for a new planet, in hopes of transporting all of Earth to somewhere else. It quickly became apparent that the galaxy is not something that should be navigated blindly, and so more than half of the original fleet was destroyed within weeks of the mission's beginning. 

Slowly the remaining fleets returned empty handed, as no planets within easy travelling distance were made for humans. My team, however, refused to give up. We searched further than any team. The captain of our ship was valiant and a courageous leader. I was the lead scientist for the team, and all matters relating to the mission at hand were basically my responsibility. I ordered my team to search as far as we could make it with our limited supplies. We spotted a planet, not too far out of reach that possessed similar chemical make-up to that of Earth. Ecstatic, we attempted to communicate with Earth about our discovery, but we were answered with only static. After our engineer tried to again connect us to someone back home, we tapped into the emergency broadcast system. The alert was startling, and I will never forget it. 

Every single crew member stopped at the moment that we heard the message. And it was only then that chills began to run down my spine. 

“THIS IS THE EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM. IF YOU ARE HEARING THIS, THERE HAS BEEN A MAJOR EMERGENCY AND YOU ARE ADVISED TO STAY IN YOUR PROTECTIVE BUNKER UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE-“ And then a chilling voice cuts into the broadcast, “-This is Vice President Seneman, I have been advised to alert any exploratory space teams to not return to Earth. This message is a warning to abandon Earth. Please save human-kind from extinction. It is not safe here. If you can hear this, we beg you to stay away. Death has consumed more than 99% of the planet. There is no hope. There is no salvation.”

And with those words, we sat in silence for what seemed to be years. The captain decided that if we wanted a chance to save whatever we could of humanity, we should attempt to land on this planet. Upon entry to its atmosphere, our ship suffered a great deal of damage. We could not land safely. There was only one escape pod, and my team decided I should be the one who deserved it, but I never felt like I deserved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment